We have a strong track record in helping customers with spare part design and production. An example of a recent project was helping a transportation company print an obsolete part that avoided the complete replacement of the braking systems on their fleet. Other credentials include supporting various brand owners and manufacturers to avoid a complete overhaul of their existing factory systems and equipment through design enhancement followed by replication of their original spare parts.
Key opportunities for 3D printing in the management of spare parts and obsolescence can be summarized below:
- Extend the life span of older equipment by printing obsolete parts that are no longer available from the original manufacturer
- Reduce storage costs in the after-sales market by reducing inventory and moving to printing spare parts on demand
- Reduce transportation costs by printing spare parts where they are needed rather than where they are stored
- Improve equipment uptime by printing long lead time spare parts in a few days rather than waiting many weeks or months for specially commissioned parts
- Enhance functionality and performance of spare parts through redesign and optimization